Most recently, and important to cigarette smokers, in particular Kent cigarette smokers – is the possibility that the kent cigarette filter may have contained asbestos and there may possibly be a link between mesothelioma lung cancer and cigarettes or smoking
As we know, asbestos exposure has been linked to lung cancer and mesothelioma. There have been many asbestos exposure lawsuits filed over the decades. And, there is a growing concern with second hand asbestos exposure and cancer – mesothelioma etc.
In the most recent revelations in connection with mesothelioma lung cancer and cigarettes or smoking, is that one cigarette in particular may be contributing factor – Lorillard Inc.’s Kent cigarettes. Supposedly, Lorillard Inc.’s Kent cigarettes:
- were produced in the 1950s – 1952/1956 (with potentially billions of cigarettes consumed in this period)
- had Micronite filter
- produced by Hollingsworth & Vose
- containing crocidolite asbestos
It is known that asbestos exposure is related to lung cancer and mesothelioma. In a recent court filing, the federal judge allowed the plaintiff and denied a cigarette manufacturer’s motions to bar two experts from testifying that the asbestos-containing “Micronite” filters once found in Kent cigarettes contributed to the claimant’s mesothelioma.
Allegedly, the Plaintiff in the mesothelioma lung cancer and cigarettes lawsuit – Marilyn F. Quirin, special representative of the estate of Ronald J. Quirin (“Quirin”):
- sued defendants Lorillard Tobacco Company (“Lorillard”) and Hollingsworth & Vose Company (“H&V”) on a negligence theory
- alleging that Mr. Quirin’s mesothelioma was caused by his exposure to asbestos while smoking Kent cigarettes, which, during the 1950s, were manufactured with a “Micronite” filter that contained asbestos (hereinafter “original Kents”)
- has sued defendant Georgia-Pacific LLC on a negligence theory
- alleging that Mr. Quirin’s mesothelioma was caused by his exposure to asbestos while working as a telephone installer and supervisor
- Quirin claims that that, between 1957 and 1977, Mr. Quirin worked near drywall installers who used Georgia-Pacific’s drywall joint compound, which contained chrysotile asbestos
- Now before the court is Georgia Pacific’s motion to exclude expert testimony, work practice studies, and Tyndall lighting videotapes by Quirin’s expert Dr. James R. Millette, Ph.D.
Although it is hard to prove an mesothelioma and asbestos exposure lawsuit when smoking is involved, it is not impossible because of the ability to detect the destructive effects asbestos exposure has on the body, in particular the lungs in such a case. The most devastating injury is mesothelioma.
January 8, 2015 – United States District Court, N.D. Illinois, Eastern Division, Case No. 13CV2633
- Plaintiff Marilyn F. Quirin (“Plaintiff”), special representative of the estate of Ronald J. Quirin (“Mr. Quirin”), has sued defendants Lorillard Tobacco Company (“Lorillard”), Hollingsworth & Vose Company (“H&V”), and Georgia-Pacific, LLC (“Georgia-Pacific”) (collectively, “Defendants”) on a negligence theory, alleging that Mr. Quirin developed and died from mesothelioma substantially caused by his exposure to asbestos-containing materials while smoking Kent cigarettes and working with asbestos-containing joint compound manufactured, sold, distributed, or supplied by Georgia-Pacific.
People who develop this rare form of cancer were most likely exposed to dangerous asbestos fibers while working in various industries to support their families. It is common for the development of mesothelioma to occur 20 or sometimes even 40 years after initial exposure to asbestos.
Asbestos fibers have been used in the manufacturing of a wide variety of industrial and household products in the United States and around the world.
For more on mesothelioma and asbestos, please visit the links below:
- An Overview
- Asbestos Connection
- Exposure to Asbestos
- Signs and Symptoms
- Diagnosis/Staging and Treatment
- Go To Asbestos
- Asbestos & Mesothelioma News
At the Gooch Law Firm, we pride ourselves on providing our clients reliable representation for even the most challenging cases. If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, contact our office at 1.844.329.5955.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU PROTECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS