Hitt, Abbott, Depakote & Birth Defect: A recent case from the past couple of years in the United States District Court, N.D. Illinois, Eastern Division ruled on a request for remand.
The Hitt, Abbott, Depakote & Birth Defect case documents what the children of many women that took Depakote for a health concern (e.g. migraine headache, anti-epilepsy drug), during pregnancy may face today – a potential birth defect (e.g. spina bifida).
A brief summary of the facts include:
- On May 21, 2012, plaintiffs filed this action in the City of St. Louis Circuit Court, alleging nine state law causes of action against defendant Abbott Laboratories, Inc. arising out of its manufacture and sale of the anti-convulsant drug Depakote.
- Plaintiffs allege their mothers took Depakote during pregnancy, and as a result, plaintiffs suffered severe and permanent injuries.
- To find out more on the case, see Case No. 4:12-CV-1250 CAS – October 24, 2012.
- The court ruled: For the following reasons, plaintiffs’ motion will be granted, and this action will be remanded to the Circuit Court of the City of St. Louis.
DEPAKOTE & BIRTH DEFECTS
Potentially, the most problematic aspect of Depakote use is when it is used by women during pregnancy. Unfortunately, it appears that Depakote – when used during pregnancy – may be linked to babies being born with some serious birth defects.
Supposedly, the Food and Drug Administration has even reclassified Depakote and released warnings (label changes) regarding the link between Depakote and birth injuries, which may include:
- Abnormal Digits
- Aortic Stenosis
- Brain defects
- Cardiovascular system problems
- Cleft hands or feet
- Cleft palate
- Club Foot
- Club hands or fingers
- Congential hip dislocation
- Facial dysmorphism
- Skull malformations
- Spina Bifida
- Tetralogy of Fallot
- Ventricular septal Defect
For more on Depakote and Birth Defects, please visit this link – Depakote & Birth Defects.
At the Gooch Law Firm, we pride ourselves on providing our clients reliable representation for even the most challenging cases.
If you took Depakote and your child has suffered any potentially serious health problems, side effects or birth defects, please consider speaking with a Depakote lawsuit attorney. Our Depakote lawyers can help you determine the best course of action as these health concerns your child is experiencing may be related to the use of Depakote during pregnancy.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU PROTECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS