The Green, CertainTeed, Asbestos & Mesothelioma case documents what many brake mechanics, Navy veterans and others may face today – past potential direct and secondary exposure to asbestos and mesothelioma. The court ruled: judgments are affirmed – respondent to recover costs on appeal.
A brief summary of the facts include:
- Doyle was born in Texas in 1936. Between 1954 and 1966, he served as a seaman, gunner’s mate, and laborer in the United States Navy. Most of his duty stations were located outside of California, but he did work at naval shipyards in Long Beach, San Diego, and San Francisco. After leaving the Navy, Doyle worked as a laborer at a mine in New Mexico for two years. He then returned to Texas, where he lived until his death in 2012.
- In July 2011, Doyle was diagnosed with mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining of the body’s internal organs that can be caused by the inhalation of asbestos.
- As to CertainTeed, plaintiffs assert that, in the early 1980’s, Doyle spent several months working as a crane operator on a project involving installation of the company’s cement pipe, which allegedly contained crocidolite asbestos. Asbestos dust was purportedly released into the air when plumbers cut the pipe with large power saws.
- Bucyrus and Terex allegedly manufactured cranes that Doyle operated between the late 1960’s and 1980, the brake linings of which allegedly containedasbestos. Plaintiffs claim that Doyle would often adjust, grind, and inspect the brake linings, releasing asbestos dust into the air.
- With respect to Shell, plaintiffs claim Doyle was exposed to amosite asbestos while working on the company’s Odessa oil refinery for about two to six months in 1970.
To find out more on the case, see Case No. 13A4983 – February 10, 2015.
ASBESTOS & MESOTHELIOMA
For more on asbestos and mesothelioma, please visit the links below:
- An Overview
- Asbestos Connection
- Exposure to Asbestos
- Signs and Symptoms
- Diagnosis/Staging and Treatment
- Go To Asbestos
- Asbestos & Mesothelioma News
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU PROTECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS