Please find the latest news posts from our blog related to the kidney dialysis lawsuit filed as Fresenius Granuflo/Naturalyte Dialysate Kidney Dialysis Products Liability Litigation – Granuflo Lawsuit MDL in the United States District Court – District of Massachusetts:
- case information
- latest opinions
- latest orders
We have tried to provide the latest information and news on a variety of topics and hope you will find our blog helpful, informative and useful. We try to keep the blog as current as possible and strive to update the website as new information is available To receive updates from our news blog, please subscribe to our feed. Thanks again, Legal Sleuth®.
The latest from the Granuflo Lawsuit MDL:
January 2, 2015 – UPDATE: IN RE: FRESENIUS GRANUFLO/NATURALYTE DIALYSATE PRODUCTS LIABILITY LITIGATION
Case no.: 13-02428-DPW
- This Order Relates To: All Cases Involving the Prescription, Purchase or Use of Granuflo/Dialysate Products In the State of Mississippi
- In the motion to dismiss now before me, certain of the defendants, whom I will refer to collectively as FMCNA, move to dismiss as being filed outside of the statute of limitations one hundred twenty-seven cases involving plaintiffs alleging injury in Mississippi following receipt of dialysis treatment.
- Plaintiffs in this multidistrict litigation (MDL) allege that injury or death was suffered as a result of the use of NaturaLyte and GranuFlo, two products designed, manufactured, labeled, and distributed by FMCNA. These products were used during hemodialysis for patients with renal failure. Dialysis is a procedure to remove waste products from the blood of a patient whose kidneys have failed and can no longer serve this important function. Plaintiffs allege that due to the use of these products, there was an unexpectedly high level of bicarbonate in their blood and this increased their risk of cardiopulmonary arrest or sudden cardiac arrest. The plaintiffs say injuries, including cardiac arrest and death, were suffered after treatment with these products.
- At issue here is whether to apply the statute of limitations from Mississippi or from Massachusetts. In determining which statute of limitations to apply, I must resolve at the threshold whether Massachusetts or Mississippi choice of law rules are to be used for each category of case at issue in this motion.
February 26, 2014
MDL 2428: In Re: Fresenius Granuflo/Naturalyte Dialysate Products Liability Litigation
These actions share factual issues arising from allegations that Plaintiffs suffered injury or death caused by the use of GranuFlo and/or NaturaLyte products during hemodialysis, which allegedly may cause metabolic alkalosis in patients resulting in low blood pressure, hypokalemia, hypoxemia, hypercapnia, cardiac arrhythmia, or cardiopulmonary arrest.
All the actions involve factual questions relating to whether GranuFlo and NaturaLyte were defectively designed or manufactured, whether Fresenius, the manufacturer of these dialysate products, knew or should have known of the alleged propensity of these products to cause injury and whether it provided adequate instructions and warnings with these products. These cases have been assigned to Judge Douglas P Woodlock.
- Procedural Order
- Case Management Order No. 1
- Case Management Order No. 2
- Case Management Order No. 3
- Case Management Order No. 4
- Case Management Order No. 5
For more information on kidney dialysis cases, click here.
Please note that the FDA issued a class 1 recall on March 29, 2012, in which it issued a notice cautioning clinicians to be aware of the concentration of acetate or sodium diacetate (acetic acid plus acetate) contained in Fresenius’ Naturalyte Liquid and Granuflo Dry Acid Concentrate.
Inappropriate prescription of these products can lead to a high serum bicarbonate level in patients undergoing hemodialysis. This may contribute to metabolic alkalosis, which is a significant risk factor associated with low blood pressure, hypokalemia, hypoxemia, hypercapnia and cardiac arrhythmia, which, if not appropriately treated, may culminate in cardiopulmonary arrest. This product may cause serious adverse health consequences, including death.
At the Gooch Law Firm, we pride ourselves on providing our clients reliable representation for even the most challenging cases. We are here to help with your dialysis lawsuit.
If you or someone you know was on dialysis and has been the victim of a medical condition (fatal or near-fatal heart injury) that may have been caused by the use of Fresenius Naturalyte and GranuFlo Acid Concentrate within 72 hours of receiving GranuFlo or NaturaLyte during a kidney dialysis treatment and would like your case evaluated, contact our office at 1.844.329.5955.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU PROTECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS