Benzene, Houston Ship Channel & Cancer: A recent article examined the Environmental factors such as industrial pollution that play a significant role on the health of fence-line communities located near the Houston Ship Channel. Leukemia cancer may be caused by benzene exposure or other toxic chemicals.
A brief abstract/summary of the Benzene, Houston Ship Channel & Cancer article:
- Prolonged exposure to environmental toxins from living within close proximity to industrial sources of pollution can have profound negative impacts on the overall health and well-being of residents. Recent studies have revealed an increased risk of cancer for communities located near the Houston Ship Channel; however, these studies did not examine cancer mortality.
- Recent studies have revealed an increased risk of cancer for communities located near the Houston Ship Channel; however, these studies did not examine cancer mortality.
- Additionally, the overall ambient air concentrations of the carcinogens, benzene and 1,3 butadiene, also remain elevated. Communities located fence-line to the Houston Ship Channel should be encouraged to advocate, adopt and implement cancer prevention strategies that encourage the use of sustainable, safe, community-friendly building and industrial technologies.
To read more of the article, follow this link – November 17, 2014.
The effects of long-term benzene exposure at high levels in the air may cause leukemia, a potentially fatal cancer of the blood-forming organs (blood disorder).
In addition, Benzene exposure may cause:
- Acute myeloid leukemia (AML)
- Acute non-lymphocytic leukemia (ANLL)
- Secondary aplastic anemia
- Chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML)
- Myelodysplastic syndrome, or
- Non-hodkins lymphoma.
Additionally, benzene has been connected to a rare form of kidney cancer in two separate studies, one involving tank truck drivers, and the other involving seamen on tanker vessels, both carrying benzene laden chemicals.
If you have been diagnosed with a serious disease (e.g., leukemia, non-hodgkins lymphoma etc.) from benzene exposure, and need a benzene lawyer to help you file a benzene exposure lawsuit, contact our office at 1.844.329.5955.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU PROTECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS