Recently, in an asbestos and mesothelioma and LPLA lawsuit the court in Louisiana ruled in favor of the defendant – Ford.
Plaintiff, Douglas L. Hayes, suffered from malignant mesothelioma, a type of cancer caused by exposure to asbestos.
The plaintiff alleged:
- that while living on the family farm he was exposed to asbestos from birth until the late 1960s from his father’s clothing (second hand exposure).
- He alleges direct exposure to asbestos from 1969 to 1982 while working on 3 Case tractors on the family farm—specifically in gaskets, packing, valves and pumps.
- From 1993 through the early 2000s, Plaintiff worked as a salesman at the Oustalet car dealership in Jennings, Louisiana which sold Ford and Toyota vehicles.
- Mr. Hayes alleges that he daily entered the service department and was exposed to asbestos from various asbestos-containing products or equipment, including, but not limited to brakes, clutches, and/or gaskets.
- The products were allegedly manufactured and/or sold by Ford Motor Company (“Ford”). The complaint, as amended, names several defendants, (Ford, Toyota Motor Sales USA, Inc., Asbestos Corp. Ltd., Honeywell International, Inc., and C N H America, LLC) who allegedly exposed Mr. Hayes to their products containing asbestos during different time intervals.
- The lawsuit was filed on July 31, 2013.
- Plaintiff was first diagnosed on June 10, 2013; he passed away on October 4, 2013.
- The plaintiff alleged survival and wrongful death claims as well as a products liability claim pursuant to the Louisiana Products Liability Act.
- The Court concluded that claims did not fall within the The Louisiana Products Liability Act (“LPLA”) and the case was dimissed.
Asbestos fibers have been used in the manufacturing of a wide variety of industrial and household products in the United States and around the world.
For more on mesothelioma and asbestos, please visit the links below:
- An Overview
- Asbestos Connection
- Exposure to Asbestos
- Signs and Symptoms
- Diagnosis/Staging and Treatment
- Go To Asbestos
- Asbestos & Mesothelioma News
If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma and need help evaluating your case, please contact us so a mesothelioma lawyer can assess your potential mesothelioma lawsuit. We are here to help you.
At the Gooch Law Firm, we pride ourselves on providing our clients reliable representation for even the most challenging cases. If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma and would like your case evaluated, contact our office at 1.844.329.5955.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU PROTECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS