Zoloft Product Liability Litigation: A recent case in the United States District Court, E.D. Pennsylvania ruled on an appeal related to exclude an expert report.
The Zoloft Product Liability Litigation case is about whether an expert report should be excluded in connection with whether Zoloft – taken during early pregnancy, is capable of causing, or contributing to cause, cardiovascular birth defects.
A brief summary of the Zoloft Product Liability Litigation case includes:
- The PSC seeks to offer Nicholas Jewell, Ph.D. as a general causation expert in the Zoloft MDL (MDL 2342).
- Dr. Jewell’s opinion is summarized as follows: “I conclude that maternal use of Zoloft during early pregnancy is capable of causing, or contributing to cause, cardiovascular birth defects.”
Pfizer, the maker of Zoloft, challenges the admissibility of this evidence, asserting that Dr. Jewell has used unreliable methods to form his opinion that Zoloft, when taken early in pregnancy, may cause cardiovascular birth defects.
- A recent study, Bérard (2015), has also reported a statistically significant association between Zoloft use and certain septal defects.
- Presently before the Court is Pfizer’s Motion to Exclude the Testimony of Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee Expert Witness Nicholas Jewell, Ph.D.
- Zoloft is a prescription antidepressant, commonly used to treat depression, anxiety, and other mental health conditions. The FDA categorizes Zoloft as a Pregnancy Category C drug
- The parties agree that birth defects, including the cardiac birth defects alleged in this litigation, have occurred throughout history. Major congenital heart defects, which are among the most prevalent birth defects, occur in as many as 1% of live births.
- The Court ruled: Affirmed
- For more on the Zoloft Product Liability Litigation case, please follow this link: MDL-2342 – December 2, 2015
CASE WATCH℠ is a compilation of a variety of cases, including birth defect and prescription drug, personal injury, jones act and toxic tort cases nationwide. We hope that these posts provide an insight into the various situations in which someone has been injured and the various remedies sought. We hope that it is both helpful and informative.
At the Gooch Law Firm, we pride ourselves on providing our clients reliable representation for even the most challenging cases.
If you took Zoloft and your child has suffered any potentially serious health problems, side effects or birth defects (e.g., cardiovascular birth defect), please consider speaking with a Zoloft lawsuit attorney.
Our Zoloft lawyers can help you determine the best course of action as these health concerns your child is experiencing may be related to the use of Zoloft during pregnancy. To talk to a zoloft lawyer about a zoloft birth defects lawsuit, please contact our office at 1.800.672.4916.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU PROTECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS