Topamax, Cleft Lip, Janssen & Czimmer: A recent case in the Superior Court of Pennsylvania ruled on an appeal related to trial court’s judgment.
The Topamax, Cleft Lip, Janssen & Czimmer case is about a Pennsylvania mother that took Topamax for migraine headaches (e.g. other reasons – migraine headache, anti-epilepsy drug), during her pregnancy and gave birth to a child with a severe cleft lip and cleft palate.
A brief summary of the Topamax, Cleft Lip, Janssen & Czimmer case includes:
- Plaintiff has a history of migraine headaches dating back to when she was a young teenager.
- In August 2006, physician’s assistant Lisa Basye prescribed Topamax to April to treat her migraines, and April continued to use the drug until February 2007. At the time Basye prescribed Topamax to April, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) categorized it as a Pregnancy Category C drug.
- In December 2006, April became pregnant with her son, Blake. Blake was born on September 24, 2007, with a severe cleft lip and cleft palate with a hole above his lip. Since his birth, he has undergone four surgeries to repair his oral clefts and associated injuries. Blake will need to undergo a number of surgeries in the future, including jaw reconstruction and a bone graft at the time of maturity. He will also need speech therapy, treatment for his hearing, and a psychological evaluation.
- This lawsuit against Janssen by filing a writ of summons in the Philadelphia County Court of Common Pleas alleging, in part, that it negligently failed to warn her prescribing health care provider of the risks of potential birth defects associated with Topamax, including cleft lip and/or palate, if used during pregnancy.
- The Court ruled: Affirmed
- For more on this case, please follow this link: 2459- eda – 2014 – October 26, 2015
CASE WATCH℠ is a compilation of a variety of cases, including birth defect and prescription drug, personal injury, jones act and toxic tort cases nationwide. We hope that these posts provide an insight into the various situations in which someone has been injured and the various remedies sought. We hope that it is both helpful and informative.
At the Gooch Law Firm, we pride ourselves on providing our clients reliable representation for even the most challenging cases. If you took Topamax and your child has suffered any potentially serious health problems, side effects or birth defects (e.g., cleft lip, cleft palate), please consider speaking with a Topamax lawsuit attorney.
Our Topamax lawyers can help you determine the best course of action as these health concerns your child is experiencing may be related to the use of Topamax during pregnancy. To talk to a topamax lawyer about a topamax birth defects lawsuit, please contact our office at 1.800.672.4916.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU PROTECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS