Mesothelioma Treatement: Targeted Sodium Phenylbutyrate: A recent published article discussed a recent publication discussing a study on preliminary findings of improved overall survival (OS) using a combination of sodium phenylbutyrate (PB) with various chemotherapeutic and targeted agents in advanced [malignant mesothelioma] MM.
Mesothelioma cancer may be caused by direct asbestos exposure or secondary asbestos exposure (asbestos dust or asbestos fibers).
A brief abstract/summary of the article:
- This paper presents preliminary findings of improved overall survival (OS) using a combination of sodium phenylbutyrate (PB) with various chemotherapeutic and targeted agents in advanced [malignant mesothelioma] MM.
- Advanced malignant mesothelioma (MM) is among the most aggressive and difficult-to-treat diseases. Industrialization and exposure to asbestos is the main causative factor for the dramatic increase in the incidence of MM, which carries a poor prognosis and a median survival of less than 12 months.
- Combination chemotherapy offers only palliative results; however, targeted therapy carries more promise for future successful treatment.
- Median OS for MM was higher compared to other treatments (17 months compared to between 6 and 12.1 months). The longest surviving patient continues to be in complete response and in excellent condition for over 12.5 years from the treatment start.
To read more of the article, follow this link – October 12, 2014.
For more on asbestos and mesothelioma, please visit the links below:
- An Overview
- Asbestos Connection
- Exposure to Asbestos
- Signs and Symptoms
- Diagnosis/Staging and Treatment
- Go To Asbestos
- Asbestos & Mesothelioma News
At the Gooch Law Firm, we pride ourselves on providing our clients reliable representation for even the most challenging cases. If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, and need an asbestos or mesothelioma lawyer to help you file a mesothelioma lawsuit, contact our office at 1.844.329.5955.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU PROTECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS