Lejune, Abbott, Depakote & Birth Defect: A recent case in the United States District Court, S.D. Illinois ruled on a motion for summary judgment.
The Lejune, Abbott, Depakote & Birth Defect case documents what the children of many women that took Depakote for a health concern (e.g. migraine headache, anti-epilepsy drug), during pregnancy may face today – a potential birth defect (e.g. spina bifida) The court ruled: Abbott’s motion is GRANTED in part and DENIED in part.
A brief summary of the facts include:
- Bonner was born with spina bifida, a spinal cord defect, on December 15, 1994, in Louisiana. Bonner attributes his spina bifida, and other alleged physical and cognitive injuries, to Bonner’s mother Chantele Bonner’s (Chantele) use of Abbott’s anti-epilepsy drug (AED) Depakote while pregnant with Bonner.
- Dr. Riad Hajmurad first prescribed Depakote to Chantele in approximately 1989. In approximately 1990, Chantele stopped seeing Dr. Hajmurad and began seeing Dr. George Isaacs, who continued to prescribe Depakote to Chantele from approximately 1990-1995.
- In 1994, the Warnings section of the Depakote prescribing information (the 1994 Label) stated the following, in part:…
- To find out more on the case, see Case No. 13-cv-326-DRH-SCW – April 14, 2014.
DEPAKOTE & BIRTH DEFECTS
Potentialy, the most problematic aspect of Depakote use is when it is used by women during pregnancy. Unfortunately, it appears that Depakote – when used during pregancy – may be linked to babies being born with some serious birth defects.
Supposedly, the Food and Drug Administration has even reclassified Depakote and released warnings (label changes) regarding the link between Depakote and birth injuries, which may include:
- Abnormal Digits
- Aortic Stenosis
- Brain defects
- Cardiovascular system problems
- Cleft hands or feet
- Cleft palate
- Club Foot
- Club hands or fingers
- Congential hip dislocation
- Facial dysmorphism
- Skull malformations
- Spina Bifida
- Tetralogy of Fallot
- Ventricular septal Defect
For more on Depakote and Birth Defects, please visit this link – Depakote & Birth Defects.
At the Gooch Law Firm, we pride ourselves on providing our clients reliable representation for even the most challenging cases.
If you took Depakote and your child has suffered any potentially serious health problems, side effects or birth defects, please consider speaking with a Depakote lawsuit attorney. Our Depakote lawyers can help you determine the best course of action as these health concerns your child is experiencing may be related to the use of Depakote during pregnancy.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU PROTECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS