The Lazy R Ranch, ExxonMobil, Benzene, Groundwater & Leukemia case documents what many people may face today that may have worked in or around the petroleum industry, chemical industry and the petrochemical industry (on oil rigs, tank farms, oil platforms, boats, ships and vessels) and been exposed to Benzene – groundwater contamination, leukemia or air borne chemical exposure. The court ruled on the motion: reverse and remand.
A brief summary of the facts include:
- Appellants own 20,000 acres of land spread across Ector, Crane, Ward, and Winkler counties known as the Lazy R Ranch. Relevant to this appeal are five areas of concern (“AOCs”) within ranch boundaries: the ExxonMobil Pipeline Company Tank Farm (multiple tank farms).
- Appellants maintain that on or about March 31, 2009, they first discovered that benzene and other hydrocarbons had leached into subsurface soil and groundwater located at the five AOC sites, including the four under ExxonMobil’s exclusive control.
- ExxonMobil disputes that Appellants actually discovered contamination on this date. In deposition, Appellant Helen A. McDaniel testified that she had seen numerous, “obvious” surface spills throughout the years on the ranch and that the land looked like an oilfield.
- However, she also maintained in an affidavit that ExxonMobil representatives told her they would clean up any spills and would inform her of any major spills.
To find out more on the case, see Case No. 08-13-00281-CV – January 14, 2015.
Benzene is a clear, colorless aromatic liquid that is highly flammable and is used in many industries, including, the petroleum industry, the petrochemical industry, the steel industry, the industrial chemical industry, the alkalies manufacturing industry, the paint indutry and by the chlorine manufacturers. Benzene exposure may cause:
- Acute myeloid leukemia (AML)
- Acute non-lymphocytic leukemia (ANLL)
- Secondary aplastic anemia
- Chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML)
- Myelodysplastic syndrome, or
- Non-hodkins lymphoma
- Kidney problems
At the Gooch Law Firm, we pride ourselves on providing our clients reliable representation for even the most challenging cases.
If you have been diagnosed with a serious disease (e.g., leukemia, non-hodgkins lymphoma etc.) from benzene exposure, and need a benzene lawyer to help you file a benzene exposure lawsuit, contact our office at 1.844.329.5955.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU PROTECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS