The Hellam, Crane, Asbestos & Mesothelioma case documents what many boilerman and boilermakers may face today – past potential direct and secondary exposure to asbestos and mesothelioma. The court ruled on the motion.
To find out more on the case, see Case No. A138013, A139141 – April 16, 2014.
A brief summary of the facts include:
- Plaintiff James Hellam developed mesothelioma decades after he was exposed to products of Crane Co. that contained asbestos.
- Hellam was diagnosed with malignant mesothelioma at the age of 64.
- Mesothelioma is a fatal cancer that affects the pleura (lining) of the lungs.
- At the time of trial in late 2012, Hellam was estimated to have no more than 18 months to live.
- From 1962 to 1966, years in which he attended high school and college, he worked full-time during the summers for his grandfather, Harvey Waugh, at Waugh’s boiler business in Monterey, Monterey Boiler Service (MBS).
- Hellam claimed to have been exposed to Crane’s asbestos-containing products primarily when he worked at MBS. The main business at the shop was to refurbish boilers.
- The refurbishing process involved the application of an insulating material that Hellam and his grandfather referred to as “asbestos.” The process also required the fabrication of gaskets, which were used to create a seal between pipe flanges.
ASBESTOS & MESOTHELIOMA
For more on asbestos and mesothelioma, please visit the links below:
- An Overview
- Asbestos Connection
- Exposure to Asbestos
- Signs and Symptoms
- Diagnosis/Staging and Treatment
- Go To Asbestos
- Asbestos & Mesothelioma News
At the Gooch Law Firm, we pride ourselves on providing our clients reliable representation for even the most challenging cases. If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, and need an asbestos or mesothelioma lawyer to help you file a mesothelioma lawsuit, contact our office at 1.844.329.5955.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU PROTECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS