The Gallagher, American Insulated Wire, Asbestos & Mesothelioma case documents what many electricians or workers in the electric trade may face today – past potential direct and secondary exposure to asbestos and mesothelioma. The court ruled in favor of the Plaintiffs.
To find out more on the case, see Case Nos. PC 11-5269, PC 11-5268 – October 10, 2014.
A brief summary of the facts include:
- Joseph Podedworny was employed by Narragansett Electric from 1952 to November 1, 1984 in a variety of positions, including janitor, helper, assistant boiler operator, boiler operator, turbine operator, and engineer.
- Mr. Podedworny was diagnosed with malignant mesothelioma on September 17, 2002. On June 29, 2003, Mr. Podedworny died at the age of eighty-three.
- Similarly, Dennis Gallagher was employed as a welder in the maintenance department at Narragansett Electric from October 29, 1984 to April 7, 2004.
- On April 8, 2004, Mr. Gallagher was diagnosed with malignant mesothelioma. On July 13, 2005, he died at the age of fifty-eight. Unlike Mr. Podedworny, Mr. Gallagher testified that he was exposed to asbestos-containing products prior to his work at Narragansett Electric.
- More specifically, he testified that he was exposed to asbestos-containing products as a welder at Electric Boat in Groton, Connecticut from 1965 to 1971 and as a supervisor, welder, and planner at Electric Boat in Quonset, Rhode Island from April 1974 to October 1984.
- Mr. Podedworny received treatment in Rhode Island from Drs. Frank Fallon and John Przygoda. Mr. Gallagher received treatment for his medical condition in Rhode Island and Massachusetts from Drs. Frank Fraioli, John Pella, R. Eric Lilly, and David J. Sugarbaker. During the course of Mr. Gallagher’s treatment, Dr. Sugarbaker performed an extrapleural pneumonectomy.
- Plaintiffs both allege that they were exposed to Defendants’ asbestos-containing product, Limpet, which Plaintiffs contend was sprayed on the turbines at Narragansett Electric. Both Plaintiffs worked in the same Narragansett Electric facility and were allegedly exposed to asbestos in the same manner.
For more on asbestos and mesothelioma, please visit the links below:
- An Overview
- Asbestos Connection
- Exposure to Asbestos
- Signs and Symptoms
- Diagnosis/Staging and Treatment
- Go To Asbestos
- Asbestos & Mesothelioma News
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU PROTECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS