The Bootenhoff, Hormel Foods, Secondary Exposure, Asbestos & Mesothelioma case documents what many secondary exposure – (secondary asbestos dust exposure – secondhand asbestos exposure) – victims may face today – past potential secondary exposure to asbestos and mesothelioma. The court affirmed the lower court’s ruling.
To find out more on the case, see Case No. CIV-11-1368-D – July 30, 2014.
A brief summary of the facts include:
- This is a “take-home” or “secondary” asbestos exposure case.
- Plaintiffs contend Eugene Bootenhoff’s clothing was contaminated with asbestos that he took home from the workplace and that his wife, Norma Bootenhoff, was exposed to asbestos when she laundered her husband’s work clothes.
- Plaintiffs seek to impose liability on Defendant International Paper Company (IPC), through its predecessor companies, Weyerhaueser and Hoernher Waldorf, and allege that the asbestos exposure occurred during Eugene Bootenhoff’s former employment with these companies.
- Eugene Bootenhoff worked at Weyerhaueser in Austin, Minnesota from 1955 through 1966. He held three different jobs during the period of his employment.
- First, he was a printing press operator from 1955 until 1958. He did not work with or around any asbestos-containing products in this position.
- Next, he worked in quality control in 1959.
- On two different occasions while in this position, Eugene Bootenhoff removed and installed asbestos-containing pipe insulation on a corrugating machine at the warehouse. The work lasted an hour or two on each occasion.
- It is the only direct exposure to asbestos he experienced during his employment at either of IPC’s predecessors. Finally, he worked as a plant supervisor from 1960 until 1966. While a plant supervisor, Eugene Bootenhoff did not personally handle asbestos-containing products.
- Finally, it is undisputed that Norma Bootenhoff was first diagnosed with mesothelioma in August 2009, while domiciled in Oklahoma.
For more on asbestos and mesothelioma, please visit the links below:
- An Overview
- Asbestos Connection
- Exposure to Asbestos
- Signs and Symptoms
- Diagnosis/Staging and Treatment
- Go To Asbestos
- Asbestos & Mesothelioma News
At the Gooch Law Firm, we pride ourselves on providing our clients reliable representation for even the most challenging cases. If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, and need an asbestos or mesothelioma lawyer to help you file a mesothelioma lawsuit, contact our office at 1.844.329.5955.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU PROTECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS