Berg, Talcum Powder & Ovarian Cancer: A case in the United States District Court, E.D. Missouri, Eastern Division ruled on a JMOL.
The Berg, Talcum Powder & Ovarian Cancer case documents what many women who may have used talcum powder, in particular Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder or Johnson & Johnson Shower to Shower talcum powder based products – may face today: ovarian cancer. The court ruled on the JMOL.
To find out more on the case, see Case No. 09-4179-KES – November 19, 2013.
A brief summary of case includes:
- Berg used J&J Consumer Companies’ products—Johnson’s Baby Powder and Shower to Shower—on a daily basis in her perineum area to relieve chafing and for feminine hygiene purposes from 1975 until 2007.
- Some time in late 2006, Berg began feeling fatigued and bloated and noticed some spotting between her periods. She underwent a pelvic exam in early December 2006, which revealed blood clotting in her ovaries. Her ovaries were removed before Christmas of that year. On December 26, 2006, Berg was diagnosed with ovarian cancer.
- Talc is one of the main ingredients in Johnson’s Baby Powder and Shower to Shower.
- Berg alleges the talc found in defendant’s products caused her ovarian cancer and claims J&J Consumer Companies should have included a warning on its products.
- Studies have articulated an association between perineal talc use and ovarian cancer dating back to 1971. Over twenty studies have shown a positive association between talc and ovarian cancer.
- J&J Consumer Companies admitted that it was aware of all literature regarding talc use and cancer at all times Dr. Daniel Cramer, an epidemiologist and one of Berg’s expert witnesses, performed a meta-analysis using data from several studies and testified that women have between a 20 to 40 percent increased risk (1.3 odds ratio) of developing ovarian cancer with perineal talc use.
At the Gooch Law Firm, we pride ourselves on providing our clients reliable representation for even the most challenging cases. If you have been diagnosed with ovarian cancer and would like to talk to us about filing a potential lawsuit, contact our office at 1.844.329.5955.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU PROTECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS