Day, Alcoa Steamship, Jones Act, Asbestos & Lung Cancer: A recent case in the United States District Court, M.D. Louisiana ruled on a motion to remand.
The Day, Alcoa Steamship, Jones Act, Asbestos & Lung Cancer case documents what many workers on a vessel, offshore, oil rig, oil platform, roustabouts and seaman may face today – an offshore injury or oil rig accident suffered while working on a ship or vessel, oil rig, oil platform or offshore that may be a potential admiralty injury, Jones act injury, maritime injury or asbestos lung cancer case.
A brief summary of the facts include:
- Plaintiff filed a Petition for Damages in state court seeking recovery for injuries, including the development of lung cancer, allegedly sustained as a result of exposure to asbestos and asbestos-containing products found aboard vessels while working for various shipowners from 1956 to 1994.
- Plaintiff named as defendants Alcoa Steamship Company, Inc.; Crowley Marine Services, Inc., as successor by merger to Delta Steamship Lines, Inc., f/k/a Mississippi Shipping Co., Inc.; Delta Steamship Lines, Inc.; Sea-Land Service, Inc.; Trinidad Corporation; Apex Oil Company, Inc. (identified by plaintiff as successor-in-interest to Trinidad Corporation); and Waterman Steamship Corporation.
- Plaintiff asserted claims under general maritime law and the Jones Act.
- To find out more on the case, see Case No. 14-317-BAJ-SCR – September 12, 2014.
Have you been injured in an offshore accident? If you have been injured while working as longshoremen, roughneck, roustabout, cruise ship employee, etc., the laws that govern the areas of navigation, shipping, and overseas injuries, known as maritime and admiralty laws, may protect you.
Individuals suffering a Maritime, Admiralty, Jones Act type personal injury (offshore injury, oil rig injury, oil rig accident or injured offshore) may be entitled to compensation in the form of maintenance payments, lost wages, monies for medical treatment and other damages.
These are some of the jobs that may fall under maritime, Jones act or admiralty law:
- Merchant Marine
- Cruise Ships
- Ship Construction
- River Boats
- Tug Boats
- Fish Processing
- Commercial Underwater Divers
- Oil Platform
- Rig Workers
- Casino Boats
For more on admiralty, Jones act and admiralty injury cases, please follow this link.
At the Gooch Law Firm, we pride ourselves on providing our clients reliable representation for even the most challenging cases.
If you have been injured while out at sea on a boat or vessel, working on an oil rig platform and are considered a seaman, and need an admiralty lawyer, Jones act lawyer or maritime lawyer to help you file an admiralty lawsuit, Jones act lawsuit or maritime lawsuit, please contact our office at 1.844.329.5955.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU PROTECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS